1 pint of low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 C flour (we use rice flour for gluten free)
1 t baking powder
3/4 stick melted butter
1 lb shredded cheese (I just use 4 small handfuls of Costco’s Mexican blend. Just make sure it has cheddar, jack and Asiago cheeses)
Beat the first 5 ingredients with electric mixer (do not try to smooth out the cottage cheese kurds). Add melted butter and beat more.
Fold in cheese and extras (see below).
Pour into a deep-dish 9 - 10" pie pan. Bake 350 for about 45 minutes – until lightly golden on top. (If the middle is not fully cooked and the top golden, I’lll tent it with silver foil and add 5 min.)
It's easy to cut in half - use an 8-inch pie pan.
• Add 1 small (4-oz) can of Ortega diced green chilies – drained VERY well. Pick out blackened skin bits.
• Saute 1/2 large onion, 1 red pepper, chopped, until starting to turn golden, add 1 C frozen fresh corn to unfreeze. This is especially popular.
• Sauté 1/2 large onion, 1 red pepper, julienned and then chopped into 1-inch pieces in 2 – 3 T of the butter from the recipe. You can add 3 chicken apple sausages, cut lengthwise and thin sliced to saute pan. Saute vegetables and sausage until edges are very well browned - this enhances flavor a lot.
• For a Lorraine variation – use a good Swiss cheese instead of the cheddar/jack blend and put in 1/2 C crumbled bacon. Also, 1/2 sauteed thinly sliced onions are good in this.
• Put 1/2 plain mixture in casserole dish, dot with medium salsa – some chunky version...not too watery – and then cover with remaining mixture.
Be creative, it's an amazing recipe.